You know you are Australian when……
1. You know the meaning of the word “girt”.
2. You believe that stubbies can be either drunk or worn.
3. You think it’s normal to have a leader called Kevin.
4. You believe the phrase “smart casual” refers to a pair of black
tracky-daks, suitably laundered.
5. You’ve made a bong out of your garden hose rather than use it for
something illegal such as watering the garden.
6. You believe it is appropriate to put a rubber in your son’s pencil case
when he first attends school.
7. When you hear that an American “roots for his team” you wonder how
often and with whom.
8. You understand that the phrase “a group of women wearing black thongs” refers to footwear and may be less alluring than it sounds.
9. You pronounce Melbourne as “Mel-bin”.
10. You pronounce Penrith as “Pen-riff”.
11. You believe the “l” in the word ” Australia ” is optional.
12. You can translate: “Dazza and Shazza played Acca Dacca on the way to
13. You believe it makes perfect sense for a nation to decorate its
highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep.
14. You call your best friend “a total bastard” but someone you really,
truly despise is just “a bit of a bastard”.
15. You think “Woolloomooloo” is a perfectly reasonable name for a place.
16. You’re secretly proud of our killer wildlife.
17. You believe it makes sense for a country to have a $1 coin that’s
twice as big as its $2 coin.
18. You understand that “Wagga Wagga” can be abbreviated to “Wagga” but
“Woy Woy” can’t be called “Woy”.
19. You believe that cooked-down axlegrease makes a good breakfast spread.
20. You believe all famous Kiwis are actually Australian, until they stuff
up, at which point they again become Kiwis.
21. Hamburger. Beetroot. Of course.
22. You know that certain words must, by law, be shouted out during any
rendition of the Angels’ song Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again.
23. You believe, as an article of faith, that the confectionary known as
the Wagon Wheel has become smaller with every passing year.
24. You still don’t get why the “Labor” in “Australian Labor Party” is not> spelt with a “u”.
25. You wear ugh boots outside the house.
26. You get choked up with emotion by the first verse of the national
anthem and then have trouble remembering the second.
27. You believe that the more you shorten someone’s name the more you like them.
28. You know, whatever the tourist books say, that no one says “cobber”.
29. You understand that “excuse me” can sound rude, while “scuse me” is
30. You know what it’s like to swallow a fly, on occasion via your nose.
31. You still think of Kylie as “that girl off Neighbours”.
32. You know it’s not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to
33. Your biggest family argument over the summer concerned the rules for
34. You shake your head in horror when companies try to market what they call “Anzac cookies”.
35. You understand that “you” has a plural and that it’s “youse”.
I hope youse all have a rip-roaring true blue good Aussie Day. We are off to the concert~!